It’s the eve of the first day of school for my son and daughter who attend our local, public district. My first in-service is next Thursday and I will see my students two weeks from yesterday. So, the back-to-school vibe is jumping in my household!
I’m focusing on how to begin on day one as I’m a firm believer that how the environment is in the classroom from the first minutes truly sets the tone for the entire year.
Thanks to the NEAToday blog for these eight great suggestions:
- Assign seats before school starts
- Use students’ names from day one
- Don’t just introduce yourself. Share your story
- Give they something to commemorate the first day
- Give the students the tools they need.
- Emphasize what students can do, not what they can’t
- Promise to give your best
- Send home a packet of important forms.
And a bonus one: Contact families before you go home for the day.
Which of these do you feel is the most important? Which is most challenging for you?