What makes a perfect day for an educator like me (and you too?) – A SNOW DAY (sort of)!
Well, I went to bed last night suspecting the possibility and woke up at 5:30 am confirming it. Lately though, here in Central Ohio, we’ve had more “calamity days” the past couple of school years due to sub-zero temps with wind chill rather than because of the more traditional – ice/snow covering the streets in the early morning.
On a day such as this, I’d much rather be either creative or lazy rather than productive. In other words, I’d rather write or read instead of grade (the 50+ freshman mid-term essays from before Christmas Break). So, I’m going to create a few posts here and also over at my personal blog too. And I have until Tuesday of next week to get those essays graded!
What makes your perfect day? One thing high on my list is echoed in this great list from Lifehack at #11 – “Take a walk in nature.” I’m hoping to do this today – so that I can meet my Fitbit goal of 10,000 steps for today. But, my WeatherUnderground iPad app tells me that it’s currently 15 degrees, but it feels like 7 degrees. Ugh – I may have to go for a walk indoors at a nearby mall instead.
BTW: Now that it may or may not feel like winter in your neck of the woods, you might want to update your weather apps. In addition to the aforementioned WeatherUnderground app, I’ve also begun enjoying on my Android phone – 1Weather (which has great widgets with it), Weather Timeline and the social-media inspired Sunnycomb
Oh yeah, here’s the list from Lifehack:
1. Once you wake up, just stay in bed for a couple of minutes and relax.
2. Always have a book with you, we never know when boredom might decide to appear.
3. Set mood playlists on your device of choice.
4. Close your eyes and breathe deeply.
5. Smile to a stranger and see what happens!
6. Have a quick fresh shower first thing in the morning.
7. Show your love to someone else.
8. Before you go to bed, say thanks for everything you have and don’t have.
9. Connect to yourself, by using a journal: write, draw, make collages, let your mind wander.
10. On your nightstand, put something that makes you smile.
11. Take a walk in nature.
12. Do yoga.
13. Make a to-do list to help you achieve your main goal for the day. And stick to it.
14. Eat healthily and accordingly to your own taste.
15. Take an hour and do as you please.
16. Write 3 good things that happened to you and what you can do to see it happen again.
17. Put some fresh flowers in the room you spend time in the most.
18. Take a long and warm shower before going to bed.
19. Get out of the house and explore your neighborhood.
20. Sleep naked to feel sexier.
21. Boost your confidence by engaging in your favorite hobby.
22. Act crazy, put the music on loud and start dancing like there’s no tomorrow.
23. Take a 30 minute nap after lunch; as an alternative, engage in a different relaxing activity.
24. Giggle with your friends– make time for them in your day.
25. Read an inspiring quote and incorporate it into your day.
26. Declutter you life by asking “Do I really need this? Why?”.
27. Be kind anytime you can and don’t expect anything back.
28. Meditate and write down everything you’ve found out.
29. Learn something new, even if it’s just a different way of doing stuff.
30. Have some sweat and exercise. Do it mindfully by choosing an activity you enjoy.
31. Sleep a bit more if you feel tired or you’re in the middle of a situation that you can’t solve.
32. Smile. Smile. Smile. And smile some more.
33. Walk barefoot.
34. Experience flow by working at something you’re passionate about.
35. Make your surroundings a little bit better: declutter, reuse and recycle.
36. Plan a trip, even if you can’t travel right now.
37. Be aware of your emotions, but don’t control them: understand them.
38. Remember your accomplishments every time you feel like a failure.
39. Lower your expectations, little by little — most of them are unrealistic.
40. Be offline for as long as you can.
41. Enjoy the now.
42. Challenge yourself!
43. Don’t worry about your problems, but work toward a solution.
44. See everything as an opportunity to learn and grow.
45. Forgive yourself and forgive others.
46. Don’t quit: make baby steps.
47. Do your best.
48. Slow down.
49. Put everything you are into everything you do.
50. Follow your heart.